March is recognized as Poison Prevention Awareness Month and this year, March 17-23 marks National Poison Prevention Week.
With many common household items toxic to pets, it’s important that pet owners to educate themselves to ensure they keep unsafe items out of paw’s reach.
It can happen to even the best pet owners—you turn around for one moment (or accidentally leave medication or chocolate on the counter) and your pet ingests a potentially harmful or fatal pet poison.
Many items commonly found around our homes can be dangerous to pets, including:
Chocolate, particularly bakers and dark chocolate.
Xylitol, the sweetener used in sugarless gums and candies, as well as some medications.
NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen and naproxen found in products like Advil and Aleve.
Over the counter cough, cold and allergy medications.
Rodenticides (mouse poison).
Lilies and all plants in the Lilium species, such as Easter, Tiger and Asiatic lilies.
Household cleaners that are concentrated, such as toilet bowl or drain cleaners.
Flea and tick treatments that are created for use on dogs.
Antidepressants, such as Cymbalta and Effexor.
For a complete list of pet toxins, visit the Pet Poison Helpline at www.petpoisonhelpline.com. You can also view the Top Pet Toxins of 2017 as reported by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.
It's best to keep a reminder for yourself and visitors posted in a visible area, such as your refrigerator. Our Pet Safety Magnets serve as a reminder to yourself and others of what your pets can and can’t have, and save him/her from a potentially dangerous situation. You can also gift this magnet to new pet parents so that they are aware of what their new puppy or kitten can and cannot eat.
Pet owners (and pet sitters) should contact their veterinarian or a pet poison helpline immediately if they suspect their pets have ingested a potentially toxic item.