Salt Lamps Can Be Toxic for Your Cat

January 17, 2018


Salt lamps are all the rage. These lamps, made out of giant hunks of Himalayan salt, are reported to have various health benefits such as improving sleep, increasing blood flow, and even easing the symptoms of asthma or allergies. Problem is, while your salt lamp may have health benefits for you, it could actually jeopardize your cat’s life.


Too much salt is poisonous for both dogs and cats. Salt poisoning can cause serious symptoms in your pet, like vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, lethargy, and even death. Now, cats and dogs do need some salt, in moderation, to keep their bodies functioning. However, the recommended maximum daily salt intake for a cat is 16.7 mg.


The problem is that salt lamps are often kept in areas that cats can access. A dog isn’t likely to hop up on a table to check out your salt lamp, but your cat just may. Cat owners have found their cats licking their salt lamps, and it’s entirely possible for a cat to ingest more than the recommended daily maximum of salt by licking a lamp.


Will your cat automatically get salt poisoning because of your salt lamp? No, but it’s important to be aware of this risk, especially if your cat is the curious type who likes to check out new objects in your home. It’s best to position your salt lamp so that it’s out of your cat’s reach, or keep it in a room that your cat doesn’t have access to.


As a side note, those cute salt dough ornaments that you see people make with their pet’s paw prints? Also a bad idea. Your pet is likely to lick their paws after you’ve pressed them into the dough, and they’ll ingest a hefty dose of salt.


If you suspect your pet has salt poisoning, take him to your vet immediately.


Do you need a magnet to remind you of foods that are toxic to pets? You may be interested in our Toxic Food for Pets Magnet (click on image for link to listing):



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts